Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cheap, easy, and fast dinner for a Monday night!

Alright, post 2 is... food of course! Nom nom nom! I love me a good salad and whenever I go out to eat at a nice restaurant, I like to get the wedge salad. They are just so dang good! And I love me my carbs! So of course some bread to go with that salad. Ha! I found this wedge recipe on Pinterest and it looked so dang tempting I had to try it. Let's just say, even my 7 year old who isn't a fan of Blue Cheese gobbled down this inexpensive and delicious meal! And because the dressing is home made you can make it more or less to your liking.  The bread I made was by The Pioneer Woman called THE Bread and yes it is. No joke this bread is slathered with butter and then broiled to a golden crisp. The butter caramelizes and makes it oh so finger licking good! But buyers beware, its a whole lotta butter, so its not diet friendly. :) Total cost of this meal: approx $10! 



The Original Pin(s):


While my photos aren't quite as pretty, you can see they turned out pretty darn close! They tasted divine and that's all that counts! Ha!

Ingredients for the salad:
1) One head of Iceberg lettuce, cut into quarters
2) Tomato, diced
3) 4 to 5 strips Bacon, crumbled

For the dressing:
1) 1 large egg
2) 3 cloves garlic
3) 1 cup vegetable oil
4) 1/4 cup buttermilk
5) 1/2 tsp salt
6) 1/2 tsp white pepper
7) 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
8) 8oz blue cheese, coarsely crumbled.

To make:
Using a blender or food processor, combine the egg and garlic cloves. 
While the machine is going, drizzle in the olive oil.
Turn the machine off and add the buttermilk, salt, and peppers. Blend a few more seconds.
Pour dressing into a bowl and stir in cheese.
Place a wedge on each plate and top with the dressing, tomatoes, and bacon.

Ingredients for THE Bread:
1) 2 sticks butter, room temp
2) 1 loaf french bread, sliced lengthwise down the middle

To make:
Take each half of the bread and spread a stick of butter all over it. You heard me. An entire stick a side. :)
Place on a cookie sheet and then under the broiler for a few minutes. You may be tempted to pull it out early, but just wait! You want it to start to burn the edges and turn golden in the middle. Trust me! Its magic!
Serve with the salad!


Visit these wonderful websites for more finger lickin good recipes! Seriously good stuff!

-Happy Pinning!

2 comments: