Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fruit Flies!

I really hate fruit flies! This year we somehow got a crazy case of them from some peaches we brought home. I could not figure out how to get rid of them and swatting them did not dent their numbers. Then I happened to be scrolling down my Pinterest page and saw someone who had a brilliant idea on how to get rid of them. I just had to try it! and it worked like nothing I have ever seen!

This photo is from her blog! It was just way better than mine!

The orginal Pin:
http://www.pinterest.com/offsite/?token=165-801&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.instructables.com%2Fid%2FHow-to-Create-a-Fool-Proof-Gnat-Trap%2F%3FALLSTEPS&pin=208995238931152632


How to:

1) You will need 2 bowls. One smaller and shorter than the other to fit inside the larger bowl.
2) Place your desired fruit in the smaller bowl. I used bananas because they said they work best, but she also used grapes. I think any fruit would work really. Anything ripe that is.
3) Fill the larger bowl with water and a little dish soap that is at least an inch deep and then place the smaller bowl with the fruit inside.
4) Take plastic wrap and put it tightly over the top of the bowl. You can use a rubber band or something like that to secure if you want, but mine staid fine.
5) Poke small holes randomly all over the plastic wrap just big enough for a fruit fly to climb through.
6) Set in a place where the flies are frequenting and watch the magic happen!

I must have caught 20 fruit flies this way in one night. I had no idea we had so many and over the course of a few days even more. Now I am fruit fly free! Yay! Try this, it works!

Happy Pinning!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I had tried other methods in the past, to no avail. So far, I've caught 27 fruit flies..this is by far the most successful and effective methods. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, this was the only method that worked for us. It was so great to come in and find all those dead fruit flies! They are such pesky little buggers! So glad it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This works well but even quicker yet, a bowl with about 1 inch of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of dish soap...no need to cover with plastic wrap. Works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try this. I am always up for trying new tricks! Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  4. I just dealt with a bunch this past weekend - all I used was cider vinegar in a glass covered with saran wrap, with holes poked into the saran. Worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had another reader say they use this same trick. I will have to try it. Those pesky little buggers are not welcome! hehe. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Tried several other methods, but this work 50 times better for those little critters... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you poke holes over the fruit bowl and the soapy section too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These gnats also LOVE like mad dried ketchup and yogurt. We learned that when my husband left out a plate with ketchup on it and an empty container of yogurt. They were all over it like it was the last food on earth. Works much better than bananas and other fruit. Plus it is less stinky. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a good one for you . I had them in a bag for trash. I took cooking spray and I nailed them . It was butter flavored
    They kept coming after I killed the first ones
    . ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions. I am ready to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete