Monday, September 16, 2013

Fall Foods! Meatloaf and Pioneer Woman's Roasted Carrots!

It may not technically be Fall, but I am willing it to be here with all my heart! :) Fall foods are warm and comforting, and I have been craving things like Pot Roast, Chili, and Meatloaf. Is anyone else ready for Fall? I can't wait to bust out my sweaters and boots! And it's almost here! Almost!


This recipe is from my Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. 

Meatloaf recipe:

2 eggs beaten
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs or 2 cups soft bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons finely snipped parsley(I just used dried)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried sage, basil, or oregano. Which ever you like most.
1/4 cup bbq sauce
1 and 1/2 to 2 lbs ground beef. May substitute ground turkey.
1/4 cup catsup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard

1. In a bowl combine eggs and milk; stir in bread crumbs, onion, parsely, salt, sage, 1/8 tsp black pepper and bbq sauce. Add meat and mix well. Lightly pat the mixture into an 8x4x2inch loaf pan.

2. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hr to and hour and 20 minutes, or until internal temp is 160 degrees F. Drain fat out of pan. In a bowl combine catsup, sugar, and mustard; spread over top of the meat. Bake for an additional 10 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

The key to good meatloaf, I have found, is to keep it moist. Don't leave it in too long and test it periodically. Some ovens are hotter than others so baking times can vary by a few minutes. :)

*I served my meatloaf with Pioneer Woman's Roasted Carrots which were superb! My 2 year old kept asking for more!

Ingredients:

1 to 2 bags of regular sized carrots.
olive oil
fresh thyme, or dried, but fresh is better
salt and pepper

Line a cookie sheet with foil and drizzle a bit of olive oil onto it.

Rinse carrots well and cut down the centers in half lengthwise. You do not have to peel the carrots which is great!

On the baking sheet toss the carrots with the olive oil until they are all lightly coated. Sprinkle on salt and pepper and thyme.

Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or so.

Ta da!  Here is the link to her site to see her directions as well: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/11/roasted-carrots-by-pastor-ryan/

I pinned it a while back and am now kicking myself for not trying it sooner!

I also served with regular green beans and some mashed potatoes and gravy. Was a perfect Fall meal! Hit the spot even if it wasn't as brisk and golden outside as we wanted. :) Happy Fall to all!

...and Happy Pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment