Tuesday, January 15, 2013

How to Refinish a Table, No Sanding!

Alright, I have had a few requests about our table after I did the fun cabinet, so here it is....How to refinish a table with NO sanding! This is the very first project I ever did and it has a special place in my heart. :) It kicked off several other projects and helped me realize that old pieces of furniture can be made new again. And not just new, but fabulous too!

I found this table at a garage sale for $30. Can you believe that?! It's solid maple and in great condition.  Its only flaw was a few scratches and that its color was faded and outdated. It was just what I had been looking for. So we hauled it home and then I contemplated all the things I could do...I decided to do distressed white with a grey/brown chalk board top. Pretty ambitious for a first timer! And I was about to learn a few lessons. Ha!



Lesson #1: Spray evenly and allow each coat to dry. I used a spray primer/paint in one. It was the Rustoleum Brand Universal paint and primer from Lowe's.(pictured below). It makes a big project like this SO much easier and faster! Like days faster. But you need to evenly coat and then let it dry or it drips and cakes. If this happens, you're "no sanding" project all of a sudden has sanding. Ha!

Lesson #2: Don't skimp and go for the cheaper spray paints! I did this on another project and spent twice as much because you  get what you pay for! Nightmares just thinking about it! lol. Trust me on this one!

Lesson #3: Don't panic if it doesn't go perfectly at first. I distressed mine for a shabby look and used a little square of sand paper to take off paint in areas. If I got too much off, I would lightly spray a little over again. There, all better!

Lesson #4: Top coat! Top coat!  Top coat! Cannot stress this enough for furniture that is going to take a beating. Dining room tables or coffee/end tables are going to get hit, kicked, spilled on, etc. Top coat! Make sure you use several coats and let them dry. Top coats harden to ensure your paint stays safe underneath!

Lesson #5: Not all top coats are the same! Most oil based top coats dry with a yellow tint. Not good for a white project! and they are super sticky!!! I started with one and in five seconds realized it was a problem and tried to take it off with a damp rag.  The good news was I got it off in time. The bad news was it coated my hands for 2 days, even after a long soak in acetone! Use a water based polycrylic like MinWax. Its not sticky and dries crystal clear.

I did this project back in July and it is now January.  I have had no problems with chipping, flaking, or anything like that. I did use chalk board paint on top so I am careful to use pot holders and place mats so that it doesn't bubble from the heat. It's the only part that is not top coated, but it has been quite sturdy. It has held up to my son who bangs on it, rolls cars on it, and wipes his food on it. Ha!

Original Pin:


So here's my how to:

Supplies:
1) Rust-Oleum Universal Paint and Primer all in one-White.($6 each at Lowe's)
2) A fine-grain sand paper block if distressing.($2)
3) Medium size angled paint brush($2)
4) Small paint roller.($3)
5) MinWax Polycrylic Clear Top Coat.($15)--This dries crystal clear!
6) Chalk board paint. --I used Martha Stewart brand from Michael's ($5.99)
7) Damp rag

Instructions:
1) Find that piece of furniture that inspires you! This is BEFORE.

2) With a damp rag, wipe down all the pieces to make sure they are clean and free of dirt, food, dust, etc.
3) In a well ventilated area(I suggest outdoors!), use your Rust-Oleum Universal paint and primer in one. Use as directed!! Spray at enough distance that the paint does not drip, but that it is coating evenly(12 inches or so). 

4) Let each coat dry completely. Repeat. Make sure all areas are covered, even those nooks and crannies! You can see it would have been cute just solid white too!

5) If distressing, use a sand paper block of fine grain in areas that you want to make shabby.

6) Wipe down again to get all the paint dust off and make clean for top coat.
7) Using a brush, apply top coat. Let each coat dry completely. Use at least 3 to 4 coats on furniture that will be used frequently.

8) If doing the chalk board top: Using a small roller brush, paint the top with the chalk board paint. Let each coat dry. Use several coats for best results. To condition, rub chalk all over the top and then wipe off with damp cloth. Its ready to go!

Ta da!  This table took me a total of 3 days. I did about 2 coats of the spray primer/paint, about 4 coats of the top coat, and about 3 coats of the chalk paint. Follow paint instructions for drying times!

Our table is used everyday and we love it. Especially my daughter who loves to draw. Its a fun item in our house!

Hope this helps alleviate your fears of a big project! Happy Pinning!

If you liked this, you may also like How to Refinish Laminate furniture, No Sanding!
Here:
http://pinterestandthepauper.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-refinish-laminate-furniture-no.html

16 comments:

  1. quick question when you used the chalkboard paint on the top of the table u said to condition it rub chalk all over? Does this mean exactly what it says, take normal chalk and color the heck out of the top then wipe off? And what exactly does it do for the top? thanks falon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Law the chalk on its side and rub it equally on the whole piece to season it. This prevents the first thing your write on it from bleeding through, or ghosting.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the chalkboard paint has directions that say you should rub a white piece of chalk all over when its dried before use. Then just wipe it off. I think its supposed to make it easier for drawing and writing. Just make sure to be careful with heat on the chalkboard paint. And don't use bleach to clean it off. Just soap and water. Learned the hard way. lol! Bleach is harsh and takes up the paint. But overall, its a fun piece of furniture. Would love to see your project when it's done! Now here's to hoping for warmer weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to paint my kitchen table this way as well. It's almost exactly like this one. How many cans of spray paint did you use? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used about 8 cans I believe. My only note here would be to make sure there is no wind if you're painting outside. You go through more paint because it blows away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this come in more colors? Stains?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, Christi! It comes in a variety of colors! Both Lowe's and Home Depot carry a good selection. Pick your color and have at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you remember what color the spray paint was called? I had no idea there were so many different colors of grey spray paint! Thanks-

    ReplyDelete
  9. mbkries, the brown is actually chalkboard paint from Michael's called "grey" and its by Martha Stewart. I wanted the top to be kinda fun and for the kids to be able to draw on it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you brush on the Minwax top coat? And did you apply multiple coats to everything or just the high-use areas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is terrible. Somehow I never saw this! I applied 3 coats of top coat with a brush. I'm sure this doesn't help you now. So sorry!

      Delete
  11. Before I paint my chairs. Do I take the cushions off. Or do I cover all the cushions up.

    I should just use the spray pain you suggest right. I know you did this many years ago. But I hope you respond. I really want to paint my chairs white. But taking all the cushions off would be a lot of hard work.
    Please respond and give me some suggestions please.
    Yazee1203@Gmail.com.
    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before I paint my chairs. Do I take the cushions off. Or do I cover all the cushions up.

    I should just use the spray pain you suggest right. I know you did this many years ago. But I hope you respond. I really want to paint my chairs white. But taking all the cushions off would be a lot of hard work.
    Please respond and give me some suggestions please.
    Yazee1203@Gmail.com.
    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bibi! Just cover up your cushions really well and they should be just fine. Just make sure its taped up so the paint doesn't get on the fabric. I'd use something plastic like a thick garbage bag that you can cut and tape over it. And use painters tape. And yes, you can use the paint I used. Its very easy to spray. Thank you for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing such informative, useful and helpful knowledge! This gave me some insights to do better. I would really love to see more updates from you.

    Spray Gun

    ReplyDelete